Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Experiential Jesus, 1


I was praying today, not in my morning ritual that many of us Christians call quiet time, but I was driving.  And as is often the case, I was alone while driving.  It is my thinking that, if I am driving with no one else to talk to, why not talk to the God Who has captivated me in such a way that before I make most, should be all, of my decisions, I talk to Him first.  

So, I was praying and what I found myself repeating was, “I want more of You than experiential Jesus.”  I am sure many of you know the Jesus that I am talking about.  He is a fun Jesus.  He lifts me up, and brings me down, when I see myself for who I am.  But, as those of you who know me, this single line of prayer kick started a waterfall of thoughts that I was compelled to meditate upon. 

I have, in the past, been quickly categorized as Neo-orthodox or even a Christian existentialist, and while I don’t reject these categories entirely it is important to note that I don’t hold to all of what those generalizations mean.  Neo-orthodoxy, for one has been described as holding a limited perspective on the authority of scripture, as they may say that the scripture “becomes” inspired when the Holy Spirit breaths upon the pages while they are being read.  Like when a scriptural critic reads the Bible to find the different inconsistencies in its message.  Neo-orthodoxy would say that when reading the Bible like this, it is not inspired.  And it stands to reason, as there is no belief that it is, that for that individual it is not.  The criticism of this statement is that scripture says of itself that it is (2 Tim. 3:16), and it goes around and around.  This leads to Christian existentialism, which upon hearing the word “existentialism” we immediately think of “relative truth.”  For the Christian existentialist “truth,” itself, is not relative.  As truth is wholly other than and cannot be subject to any individual.  That being said, truth is only truth to an individual who accepts it.  In the biblical sense “truth” become judgment, at its worst, and “conviction,” at its best, for the unbeliever.  “Conviction” is best, as it can lead to receiving the truth. 

So, I am going to limit this conversation to semantics.  Depending on your perspective, “truth” for you, may not be truth for me, based on belief, but belief, whether received or not, does not change what or Who is truth.  Truth is wholly other than, and is beyond what any one individual can fully know in its entirety.   Or, if we could grasp “all truth,” it would then become subject to our understanding and interpretation.

So, getting back to Experiential Jesus, Christian existentialism says that truth, or reality, becomes truth when it is experienced by the power of the Holy Spirit.  So, here is my question.  If Experiential Jesus becomes real when I experience Him, and then, based on the experience, I believe, then what is to stop me from denying the experience?  (Think of the one out of ten who returned to thank Jesus for healing) How does this bring us to the point where we confess, as Paul did, I am a slave to the cross?  Paul was captivated or taken hold of, this gives the impression of slavery or that it was beyond his choice to receive or not.  For Paul, did truth become real as a result of his interrupted trip to Damascus?  Or was it something else? 

Bear with me as the waterfall of thoughts splashes against the rocks and churns in the multiple opposing currents below.  Next: Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. (ESV)  

No comments:

Post a Comment